The soil in your lawn becomes compacted by walking on it while children play, during Bar-B-Qs, mowing and even snow compacts soil. Every lawn should to be aerated yearly.
Aerating will help your lawn become healthier and look better with less watering.
- Core aeration loosens up compacted soil, letting fertilizer, herbicides, water and air get down to the roots.
- Some herbicides work by being absorbed through the roots.
- Many diseases are caused by a lack of nutrients because fertilizer is not being absorbed into hard soil.
- Many weeds thrive in compacted soil that stunts the growth of grass.
- Aeration Stimulates vigorous root growth by “pruning” the grass roots. This will thicken up your lawn, and increase tolerance to heat and drought.
- A thick lawn looks nicer and chokes out weeds because there is less room for them to grow.
- Reduces puddles in your yard after rainfall. This lets water get to the roots of your lawn, trees and other plants.
- The removed plugs deposit valuable microorganisms on the surface which breaks down thatch. An organic layer of thatch from grass shoots, stems, and roots develops between the green vegetation and the soil surface. Thatch builds up and creates a barrier that keeps fertilizer, herbicides, water and air from reaching the roots.
- Over seeding after aerating increases seed germination rates by loosening the soil. Over seeding helps thicken up your lawn more than just aerating alone. It’s also a good time to apply winterizing fertilizer to your lawn’s roots.
We use a Punch Core Aerator pulls out deeper plugs than standard rotary aerators that tear up your lawn with their tilling motion. Tine aerating does nothing for your lawn because it doesn’t pull out plugs at all! We also use a hand aerator on hills and in tight spots where the aerator cannot get to. Most other companies don’t even own a hand aerator.
After few mowings and some rain the plugs will be broken up and distributed over the lawn.
Fall is the best time to aerate but it can be also be done in spring. It should be done at least once per year. We do all of our fall aerations in a 5-7 day period usually between Sept 12th & Oct 5th. So call now! 414-238-4316